by Dr. Toyin Alli
Do you ever feel like you’re working all the time but never get anything done? Or do you find yourself working on one task all day and neglecting your other responsibilities? Or maybe you have so much to do that you forget what you need to get done and end up working late or waking up super early to get stuff done?
All of the above are my experiences from grad school. I always felt like I wasn’t being productive enough to get all of my work done. But really, it was a lack of time management skills that I was missing.
However, I quickly got my act together and found a way to manage my time more effectively and be more productive every day. I started implementing a morning office routine that helped me to stay on track, manage my time, and be productive every single day.
And today, I’m sharing my productive office morning routine with you! You can read all about it below or watch my YouTube video about it (also below). I even have a pdf template of my morning routine that you can use: Morning Routine.
Productive Office Morning Routine
- Brain dump everything you need to get done today. The first thing I do when I get to my office is take 5 minutes to sit in silence and write down everything that I need to get done.
- Prioritize your to-do list. Then I go through my list and figure out what things need to get done or started first.
- Determine your top 3. Did you know that if you have more than 3 tasks on your to-do list, you are less likely to get everything done? So I like to create a smaller priority list of 3 tasks that I need to get done first.
- Set time limits. I also like to write down how much time I plan to spend on each task. This is the time management portion of the routine. If a task takes longer than expected, you can always come back to it later after you’ve finished the remaining tasks on your priority list.
- Check your email. Finally, I check my email to see if there are any other responsibilities or tasks that I need to remember to do in my day. Warning. Never do this step first. It’s so easy to waste time in your inbox.
I hope that you have found this post helpful! If you try out this routine, I want to hear about how it works for you! DM me on Instagram @theacademicsociety_ and share your productivity wins with me!